Sunday, February 3, 2013

One Is the Loneliest Number...

Well, maybe not always, but when it comes to long runs the title of this post is oh-so-true!

This past week was unique in that our crew of four did not get to run our regular schedule. Samantha missed out on Tuesday due to my pushing her in hot yoga Monday night. I missed Thursday's run with the group due to the fact that I was out of town in Tallahassee for a conference.  In a new city with a 4-mile run on tap, I decided that running would be the best way to experience Florida State University campus. So bright and early on a much unexpected chilly morning, I was ready to run.

Remember how we were introducing hills into our training? As I began my run from the hotel to campus, I quickly realized that my hotel sat on the top of a very, very big hill, we can call it a monster. Getting to campus took no time whatsoever (literally half a mile down hill), but I knew I couldn't forget this would be waiting for me at the end. Being in a new city, I set RunKeeper to alert me at every half mile (I'll get antsy not knowing how far I've gone in a new city), which was super helpful. I honestly did not make a route for this run, just glanced over a map to get a feel for the layout of campus in relation to my hotel. I knew the main street names that would lead me back. I'm proud to say that I only vaguely got lost. Knowing I would eventually find my way back, I didn't panic and pressed on making for a great, fun run. During this run I saw the full extent of FSU stadium, found a peaceful nature trail, made my way down Legacy Walk and completed my 4 miles before ending at the base of the monster hill my hotel sat upon. The extra half mile uphill was just icing on the cake. If you're ever on FSU campus, I would definitely suggest running through-around-by-in-across (and all those other fun prepositions) it-- beautiful campus!

Yes, I know I just described a great solo run. Not all solo runs are terrible. So how does this fit with the title? Well, while I was out of town I missed not one, but two runs with my gal pals. Fast forward to Saturday's 5-miles and I was miserable. After such a great time on Thursday, I was sooo looking forward to a repeat, but the weather had different plans. When I needed to run, the weather wanted to be in the low 30s. Too cold? Yes, when you prepared for 50 degree weather. There was no going out for a run without my cold-weather gear, which I didn't pack. It's Florida, how knew?! So to the hotel gym I went where I was forced to climb upon the dreaded treadmill. Boo! The best I can say is that it sucked. Bad. I was ready to call it quits after mile 1. 1! I knew though I would have to tell the group if I didn't keep going. So somehow, somewhere I pulled out 5 miles at a most terribly yuck pace. Alone in the fitness center, I only had the hum of the treadmill and episodes of "Married with Children" to watch. I'll be the first to say Al Bundy is not a great motivator to run, unless you're running away, which on a treadmill you can't- you're not going anywhere.

Some training days can be great and then the next terrible. I know I wouldn't get far without my girls to lift my spirits along the way and hold me accountable. I would say the best thing about training has been the group. Knowing that someone is going to bust you when you mess up and then celebrate you when you do good. Everyone needs that sometimes. I know I'm not alone in this and that makes it so much easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment