Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Oh. Em. Gee.

You might think this post is a about the monstrous hills we climbed today on our hill-training run. But it's not, because I missed out on that fun event. Let me tell you why...

Staci is a fitness beast. And I say this with as much love as possible. She is involved in a lot of different things that keep her fit and excited about life. I, on the other hand, really like my couch. I love to run, but even joining a gym was a huge feat for me. But Staci often challenges me to think about other things, do better and try things I wouldn't normally try. Last Monday at our athletic training class, she was talking about hot yoga. She has mentioned it a few times before and my interests have always been raised. Now please note, they are only raised a wee bit and I move on, because I honestly can't even think about adding another thing to "do." We train on M/W/F with AT class and we run Tues/Thurs/Sat - something has to give, right? Wrong.

Staci invited me along to try hot yoga last Monday. I silently cheered when the class was canceled (don't scowl at me Staci!). Fast forward to yesterday. After AT class, I told Staci that if I was able to drink enough water (I have slight dehydration issues - more on that later), that I would go to hot yoga with her. All on my own terms. I wanted to at least try it. She told me to drink enough water and she would pick me up around 6:45.

I wasn't really sure what to expect. I certainly didn't expect to sweat from EVERY PORE IN MY BODY. Or to be assisted by touch. While everyone was excelling at a yoga head stand (I REPEAT, THEY WERE STANDING ON THEIR HEADS), I was just trying to get in the right form to even attempt something like that. Note, I didn't WANT to attempt standing on my head. I was new. I had an out, right? That's when the instructor came by and grabbed my legs. She just grabbed them... and then I felt a lot of pressure on my forearms and in my head. It hit me halfway through that she was trying to help me stand on my head. Processing that wasn't easy. Which is when I let out a few loud "OMGs and HOLY CRAPs." It wasn't bad, I just didn't expect it. When someone has personal space issues - knowledge of what is to come is slightly important. Especially when that regards touch and complicated yoga movements. But I digress...

After we finished, I felt kind of weird. I did drink a lot of water throughout the day yesterday and I drank quite a bit of water and Crystal Light lemonade (sugar + water = good) after the class. I was unusually tired when I got home so in between hydration, I found myself falling asleep. I also ate a peanut butter sandwich somewhere in the mix. Suddenly it was 11:30 p.m. and my body began to revolt. This is the only pleasant way to explain it and because you have better things to envision - I'll leave it at that.

I haven't been to the ER due to physical sport activity in roughly two years, and last night I felt closer than ever. Normally, I wait entirely too late to make a call - mostly in denial that I can take care of it myself. I hate inconveniencing friends. Late night phone calls can rattle you for the next 24-hours, but I sucked in my pride and called Staci. At that point, I thought the ER would be where I spent the rest of the night... but the first treatment option is always Gatorade/Powerade. She brought me two 32 oz. bottles and sat with me while I drank the first one. I knew if I could keep it down, I would be okay. Stages of dehydration are pretty terrible, in case you want to know. Dry heaving, cramping hands, unregulated body temperature and the list goes on. It's not fun and it's so hard to communicate how terrible you feel. Needless to say, I am more than grateful for Staci - and the girls went on our hill-training run without me. I was actually looking forward to this route, and I'm still a little bummed.

So - lesson learned. No more hot yoga for this girl - at least not in the midst of training for a half-marathon. Or ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment