Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pajamas.


Today has been a walk-in-the-door-immediately-put-on-pajamas kind of day…you know the kind. I really don’t have those often; even bad-ish days usually result in a mere kicking-off-of-the-shoes upon entering the house. My immediate thought is to hark back to the foggy (literally and metaphorically) beginning of said day. It was still dark. And foggy. And drizzly. And thanks to a poorly (aka – not at all) thought out commitment that I made a few of the longest short weeks back, I dragged myself out of bed to meet up for our 4 mile hill *yes…hill…it’s s’posed to be flat here but the Evil Mastermind referenced in previous posts but who will not be named here…yet…found some* run at 5:50. In the morning.
I am a night person, and have witnesses to the fact. So how did I wind up in this crew of crazy women who have made this strange kind of torture a regular commitment, only to have the ultimate goal of a butt-kicking “final” torture-test?  (Note: final is in quotes because I have sneaky suspicions about how final it will really be with this particular party…).

In all honesty, I’m really not sure. I know that the Stellar Schemester and Evil Mastermind also known as one of my favorite people and dear friend, Staci Cox, threw it oh so casually into a conversation at some point maybe over lunch and I may have said I’d think about it. The next thing I remember (again, vaguely) is a conversation on New Year’s Eve walking around New Orleans where I brought up that I was thinking I’d join the AT class that all three of the other ladies in this plot already participate in, and Staci was like “great! So you’re in for the half-marathon too, right?” (really I am taking liberties with the verbage here…I mostly remember this beautiful, perfect day walking around NOLA w/friends, completely unaware what I was about to sign up for) and feeling inspired at the moment, I’m like “Sure!” (It can’t be that bad, right? In my head…)

Fast forward to today: week 3, day 1 of training. And previously referenced pajama-inducing day.  But I’m thinking a little more about today…and it was just a LONG day period. We had a lot of exciting and busy things going on at work, I think my brain was going a million miles a minute most of the day, lots of different things to do and deal with. And I didn’t get sleepy, or slow, or slide into a deep coma…not once. I had coffee, but not excessive amounts. So really, I don’t think this morning was to blame for the pajamas. I think that just kind of came with the territory of the day. I think the run, and having that little time of camaraderie and “woo-hoo we can do this!” with some really awesome people (sans one who was out and definitely missed but still included in “awesome people”!), both old and newish-to-me, was more what helped me through today. So I’m grateful, and excited, and I think this is good. And even though we all kind of moan and groan about our Crafty Captain, I’m pretty sure we all secretly (or not so secretly), feel the same way.  So Nashville, bring on your hills, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment