Monday, January 28, 2013

Oh dear.

Oh dear is exactly what I said after I agreed to "think" about running another half-marathon. I can still feel the pain that resonated through my body after half 1 and half 2. Staci would sigh and tell me that I am being dramatic. And she would be right - but when you don't even want to go to the bathroom because of the soreness that is shooting through your quads - I mean, come on... But I digress.

So yes, I said I would do it again. If we were having this conversation over coffee, right now, I would tell you that I secretly wanted to run another one. The one thing keeping me from doing so would have been the long runs. By the time we made it to the New Orleans half last year, I had no self-motivation for long training runs. After we reached 6 miles, I just didn't even want to think about running anymore.  Running is 90% mental. So before lacing my tennis shoes, I had already killed any motivation I had. Not to mention - I was slow. I hid behind the "I'm a slow runner" mantra. I was happy with an 11:30-12 minute mile. I was settling for mediocre.

After swearing off long distance running all together, I focused on the 5K. Three miles in my brain was entirely doable. Last fall, I started running with a guy friend of mine who is kinda fast. Okay, really fast... 7-8 minute mile fast. We ran one 5K together and while I could not compete with his speed - I pushed myself way further than I had before. In October I ran my first sub-10 minute mile and throughout November and December, I continued to set new PRs for myself. My fastest 5K being a 30:06 finish. I've come out from under the slow rock I've been happy to settle with and embraced the process of being better and faster than the last race.

I wasn't really asking, "what's next?" But! I could tell from the look on Staci's face as we approached the discussion that fateful morning that she really wanted to run another half-marathon. I was happy running faster 5Ks. However, I knew if she committed to running one - I would want in on the torture fun. Brilliantly - she reigned in Toni and Jessica. Group runs are TEN times better than solo runs, and I feel much more motivated to get up and run.

This past weekend we did 5 and we have 5 on tap for Saturday - and I'll be honest... I don't know if my motivation will increase or decrease as the mileage goes up. And I certainly do NOT enjoy hill training... Did Staci mention the Nashville course is one big hill!?  Well, it is. Either way - I think we've all been brought together for a reason. Whether that reason is to finish 13.1 miles or to grow closer as friends. Those that sweat together, stick together - right?  Whatever the reason - it should most definitely be a journey... with lots of laughter. You just wait for the stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment