Sunday, February 24, 2013

A journey of heart & sole

This week was an eye-opener... in many ways. Truths from the week:

  • We aren't superhuman.
  • Sometimes, rest really is more important than working out or running the 4 miles scheduled.
  • Sometimes, life gets crazy - and it's okay to be crazy with it.
  • Coffee in mismatched mugs is the solution to all of life's problems.

I missed my friends this week. We all missed each other. I think that's the hard part of there being four of us. Coordinating four schedules to run/work out together is hard. Sometimes we are all here, sometimes we are not.

But for this post - I don't want to talk about how tough our run was this morning. We finished 6 miles...  woohoo - great - yay, we did it! Aside from all of that, I want to talk about these crazy wonderful women I run with.

The four of us were already friends when we started on this journey, some connections closer than others (Staci being the common denominator as previously mentioned). But I think I realized today that this love/hate relationship for half-marathon training has elevated us to a different level of friendship all together. After our run this morning, we met at Southbound for our usual eggs and bagels (separate, please!) and coffee. Did you know that if coffee is served in mix-match mugs, it's much better? Truly. And the conversation that followed? Priceless. This week was rough on all of us, I think. And today, we were brutally honest about running. We don't all love the process of and sometimes it's just hard. We were also able to stop and talk about our frustrations, antsy-ness, dreams and plans. It was much-needed.

That feeling beats any high mileage training run any day of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment